B.Vijayagopal started learning flute at the tender age of four after displaying prodigious talent in music by being able to sing ragas in any given scale and swaraprastharas in various talas for any composition he heard. His talent was propitiously nurtured by his family deeply steeped in music. His early tutelage started at home from his aunt Smt. G.K. Rajeshwari, a presidential award-winning vocalist, and grandfather Sri G.V.Krishnamoorthy.
Vijay gave his first flute recital at the age of six. He was at first trained in flute by Smt.T.R. Navaneetham for seven years. He later continued learning from Sri T .S. Sankaran and thereafter from Sri K.V. Ramanujam . It was his great fortune that he came under the guidance of Padma Vibushan Sri Umayalpuram Sivaraman in 2002 and has been blessed with the opportunity of being accompanied by the legend in over fifty concerts.
Having begun his initial training in vocal music, Vijayagopal remains true to the gayaki style of Carnatic music and brings about an authentic vocalised style of flute playing. An accomplished singer, he seamlessly blends the intricacies of both vocal and instrumental patterns in flute playing.
His special finger and transposition techniques allow him to explore a range above and below the two and half octaves a normal flute permits.
Vijayagopal is an A-grade artiste of All India Radio, Chennai and an impaneled artist on the Indian Council for Cultural Relations (ICCR) . Apart from being a musician, he also excels in academics. Vijay is a doctor, a post-graduate university topper and a gold medalist in the field of orthodontics from SRM university (ranked among top ten Indian dental colleges) .
- National Programme broadcast from the Thirivaiyaru Thyagaraja Utsavam-2014
- Akashvani Sangeeth Sammelan- 2012, Bangalore
- Cleveland music festival
- Swara and Dakshinayan festivals by Banyan Tree Organisation
- Kalasangam, Mumbai
- ICCR Chennai and Bangalore centres
- Sur Banaras - Sangeet Natak Akademi, 2016
- Best Flautist - Mylapore fine arts - Awarded by Sangeetha Kalanidhi Semmangudi Srinivasa Iyer - 1998
- Flute Mali award from Sri Ragam Fine Arts - 2002
- Mali award from Sri Krishna Gana Sabha for the best artiste in the December season - 2004
- Asthana vidwan of Kanchi Sankara Mutt - 2009
- Youth Award for Excellence - Maharajapuram Viswanatha Iyer Trust - 2010
- KALAIMAMANI Award by the State Government of Tamilnadu - 2016